ST BRIAVELS PARISH COUNCIL

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON 12 November 2012 AT 1930 AT THE ASSEMBLY ROOMS ST BRIAVELS

[These minutes remain in draft form until approved at a subsequent meeting of the Council]

PRESENT:

Cllrs C McFarling (Chair), J Alexander, M Bird, A Carss, P Chivers, R Davis, J Maslen, D Rees, A Thomas,

District Cllr T Hale. County Councillor T Glastonbury.

Clerk: L Parker

12- 212 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – Police

12-213 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST – Cllr Bird – the Council’s nominee on the Pavilion Committee.

 

12-214 MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING (8 October 2012)

The minutes of the previous meeting were agreed and duly signed.

 

12-215 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES – For information

12-196 (12-185) Cllr McFarling advised that the situation is fluid because of ash fungus and he hopes to give a full report in December.

12- 216 SUSPENSION OF STANDING ORDERS FOR PUBLIC PARTICIPATION – None present

 

12-217 REPORT FROM COUNTY COUNCILLOR

Cllr Glastonbury reported:

The consultation on the budget for 2013/14 will be emailed out shortly

Each County Cllr has £10k budget for highways in their area (5 parishes)

Cannop Highways Depot has an open day tomorrow (13 Nov) where parishes can raise issues in their area.

 

12-218 REPORTS FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS

Cllr Thomas – reported:

FODDC has £94,000 available for grants to organisations working with children and applications should be made as soon as possible

 

Cllr Hale reported:

The District Council has done well in the quarterly review, in particular waste to landfill is at an all-time low and recycling is up to 63%;

the council is one of the top authorities for house building and 73 affordable homes have been built but there are 2,500 households on the waiting list;

there are 500 empty properties in the council’s area.

12-219 REPORT FROM POLICE – None available.

 

12-220 CLERK’S REPORT/INVOICES FOR PAYMENT – the bank reconciliation was noted; the invoices for payment were approved and the transfer of £1,500 to the current account was approved.

The Clerk’s Task List and Hours Worked (average 99.75 per month) were noted

 

12-221 BUDGET & PRECEPT 2012/13 – the process and timetable set out by the District Council and the advice provided by NALC were noted.

12-222 REPORTS OF COMMITTEES AND OTHER MEETINGS – To receive and note the following reports:

12-222.1 PLANNING the report of the Committee Meeting on 25 October 2012 was noted.

12-222.2 OTHER MEETINGS

Area Health Forum – Cllr Rees reported that he attended this meeting. The new commissioning process starts in April 2013 but there is some doubt about how local services will be affected. He recommended that a representative of the surgery is invited to attend a meeting to explain how local service will be affected. Resolved to issue the invitation for the next or January meeting.                LP

Coleford Area Partnership – Cllr McFarling reported that he attended the AGM and has agreed to be the representative on the Heritage Lottery Landscape Partnership bid. He will report further to the next meeting when he will seek approval to also represent the Parish.     CM

 

12-223 LEAD COUNCILLORS – Cllr McFarling reported that those attending the Governance Workshop on 7 November were keen to amend the Lead Councillor system so that councillors take the lead for an area within the ambit of a new enlarged committee.  It was noted that this will mean re-visiting a decision made in August and the Clerk is taking advice on the process with a view reporting to the next meeting of the Parish Council.  LP

 

12-224 MAINTENANCE ISSUES – BUS SHELTERSCllr Chivers reported that he had inspected the four bus shelters and found that those on the B4228 and the Common are in need of maintenance, he recommended:

1) immediate maintenance of the shelter on B4228, possibly by volunteers as there is only £139 left in the maintenance budget;

2) at the public meeting on 19 November request volunteers for day to day maintenance;             PC

3) Increase the maintenance budget in 2013/14.

 

Cllr Rees proposed that in addition he would contact the Probation Service with a view to community service providing some maintenance.    DR

Resolved to agree these recommendations

.

 

12-225 CEMETERY UPDATE – Cllr Rees reported that Geotechnical Services had provided a report with five possible options which he would explain to the public meeting. DR

In addition Cllr Rees is investigating the possibility of re-opening the churchyard for burials  DR

12-226 WEBSITE UPDATING – Cllr Rees declared an interest in the item but remained. Cllr Chivers reported that the website had been updated with the addition of: a contact form – emailing to the Clerk; and a Gallery. He also reported that the website has received 170 ‘hits’ in the last 30days. Noted

12-227 CORRESPONDENCE –

a) Requiring Action

i) Precept letter from FOD – as noted above

ii) Grant Application from the Pavilion – Clerk to contact applicant for clarification prior to reporting the application to Finance Committee

iii) Grant Application from Age Concern – as above

iv) R Crighton – Clerk to contact GAPTC for the list of suitably qualified internal auditors.

b) For Information

i) Came & Co newsletter – to be circulated

ii) Clerks & Council Direct – as above

iii) Picturesque – as above

 

12- 228 SUSPENSION OF STANDING ORDERS FOR PUBLIC PARTICIPATION – None present

12- 229 CLERK’S 6 MONTH REVIEW –Cllr Chivers thanked all parties for their input and reported that the six month (interim) review had taken place. One consequence is that the form used will be reviewed prior to use in the annual appraisal due at the end of January 2013. A key action point was monitoring on-going training for the Clerk and he recommended her attendance at a regional event on 28 November which would cover: Localism, Code of Conduct and declarations, HR, Legal and Finance updates. Resolved to note the report and agree the recommendation.     LP

 

12-230 MINOR MATTERS/ ITEMS FOR FUTURE MEETINGS

Remembrance Sunday – Cllr Chivers thanked all involved and proposed that a letter of thanks should be sent to Capt. Dow, and to the School and the Bugler. Agreed      LP

NEXT AGENDA

HLF Bid

Report back on the Tump

12-231 DATES OF FORTHCOMING MEETINGS – 10 December 2012 agenda items to Clerk 10 DAYS in ADVANCE i.e. by 26 Nov. please. Apologies to Clerk by 4.30 10 Dec.

 

Meeting Closed: 20.50