ST BRIAVELS PARISH COUNCIL

 

MINUTES OF PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD IN

THE ASSEMBLY ROOMS, ST BRIAVELS ON 9th MARCH 2020 AT 1900

 

[These minutes remain in draft form until approved at a subsequent meeting of the Council]

 

PRESENT

 

            Cllrs Chivers (Chairman), Burley, Lounds, McFarling, Smith & Worgan

(No Clerk – minutes taken by Cllr McFarling.) and 1 member of the public

 

 

234 APOLOGIES

 

Apologies had been received from Cllrs Plummer and Hurley.

 

235 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

            

Cllr McFarling   255.2  Referenced in letter.   Other

 

 

236 DISPENSATION REQUESTS    

 

            None    

 

237 MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING HELD 10th FEBRUARY 2020

 

 It was resolved to accept the minutes, draft version 2, as a true record. They were then signed by the Chairman:

 

238 REPORT BY COUNTY COUNCILLOR PATRICK MOLYNEUX  

 

            No County Councillor.

 

239 REPORT BY DISTRICT COUNCILLOR CHRIS MCFARLING  

 

            Councillor McFarling reported that:

  • The District Council’s budget had been approved by Full Council on Thursday 20th February 2020 with a £5 rise in Council Tax for the average Band D property.

 

240 REPORTS FROM PARISH COUNCILLORS & COUNCIL REPRESENTATIVES

 

241.1 Cllr Smith reported that he had attended the Farmer’s market in March but that there was nothing substantive to note.

 

241.2 Cllr Hurley (absent) as representative on the Playing Fields Association (PFA) had asked that the PFA be provided with details of the Council’s grass cutting contractor. Cllr Chivers agreed to contact them. The PFA also asked whether the Council could add the grass cutting of the playing fields to the Council’s contract. It was agreed to discuss this at the next meeting in April.

 

241.3 Cllr Burley asked about the Council’s preparedness, as the Burial Authority, for a Corona Virus pandemic. It was agreed that a Cllr would ask David Rees whether he would mind continuing to administer burials for the time being. Full transfer of paperwork should take place when appropriate.

 

 

241 PUBLIC QUESTIONS

 

            241.1 A parishioner asked whether Cllr McFarling, as a school governor, could ask the     school to ensure rubbish from the skip is not blown out across the local area. It was           suggested that a top/net be used to cover the skip.

 

 

242 PLANNING

 

242.1 FOREST OF DEAN DISTRICT COUNCIL – APPLICATIONS RECEIVED: the Council’s responses to the following consultations were as follows:

 

LPA Reference Location Proposal
242.1.1 P0169/20/LBC Yew Cottage

 

 

Listed Building Consent for the installation of a glazed canopy over rear walkway.

 

Council’s response: No objection.

 

242.1.2 P0217/20/TCA Humphrey’s Lodge Fell x 1 Birch, x 1 Cherry Plum, x 1 Cherry, x 1 Larch and prune x 1 group of Birch and Sycamore to provide 4m clearance from power line

Council’s response: No objection in principle, though it would help if the applicant would be willing to consider planting a wildlife hedge to provide replacement wildlife habitat and connectivity near the fence.

 

 

 

242.2 FOREST OF DEAN DISTRICT COUNCIL – DECISIONS NOTIFIED: to note the following decisions.

 

None

 

243 FINANCE

 

243.1 ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT:  it was resolved that the following accounts be paid.        (Authority is LGA 1972 unless otherwise stated).

 

 

Ref Chq

no

Payee Purpose Authority Amount VAT Total
1981 St. Briavels Assembly Rooms Hire of Assembly Rooms – February 2020 LGA 1972s.137 £33.00 £33.00
1982 World Jungle Fun day payment £450.00 £450.00
1983 Kirstie Watkins Clerk (February) Salary

Travel (TBC miles)

LGA 1972s.112(2)

LG(FP)A1963s.5

£333.16

 

£333.16
TOTAL (inc VAT) £ £816.16

 

Payments to be set up by Cllr McFarling.

 

244 CEMETERY /GRAVEYARD

 

244.1 Cllr Chivers to ask Martin Pagnamenta to help organise a work party to clean up the churchyard of weeds/brambles.

 

244.2 Cllr Worgan confirmed Council responsibility for the churchyard boundary wall (listed ancient monuments). Action needed this summer to remove ivy and plants growing into the wall using an eco-friendly herbicide to prevent further damage. Coping stones to be reseated, grouting removed and repointed with lime mortar to prevent wall collapse. Cllr Worgan to put in a pre-application to FoDDC for heritage conservation advice and permission to work on the walls. Cllr Worgan to investigate quotes for the work. Cllr Thomas indicated that there may be grants available for this work. Any advice from the Conservation Officer to be used to apply for heritage grants.

 

244.3 Cllr McFarling to complete an application for works to trees in the graveyard/cemetery. To review with Cllrs Worgan & Burley for checking prior to sending to FoDDC for permission.

 

244.4 Cllr Burley to give go ahead to tree surgeon to carry out scheduled works as planned at a cost of £250.

 

245 GREEN BINS It was resolved to purchase 3 green bin licences for the council.

 

246 INTERNAL AUDITOR Cllr Thomas proposed gaining quotes from independent auditors but withdrew the proposal. It was resolved to ask GAPTC to carry out the internal audit.

 

247 ANNUAL PARISH MEETING It was resolved to hold the meeting on Thursday May 14th at the Pavilion and pay £150 for buffet. Cllr Chivers would coordinate invites and agenda. Every group expected to provide a report to be available publicly during the meeting.

 

248 BT PHONE BOXES To note the council is now responsible for three BT phone boxes. Their use will be discussed at a future meeting.

 

249 ONGOING ACTIONS

 

(Items in bold are changed from previous report)

 

           

Date: Minute: Delegated to Details: Status:
Nov 2019 164 Cllrs. McFarling & Burley Cemetery – to consider options  for grass cutting. Cllr McFarling to investigate costs of grass collection on lower cemetery area. Cllr Burley to monitor frequency of grass cutting. Action CLOSED
Jun 2019 50 Clerk Write to English Heritage regarding responsibility for maintenance of the Castle and Moat walls. Ongoing – awaiting a response.  New clerk to chase English Heritage.
May 2019 25.1 Cllr. McFarling,

Clerk

Clearwell and Stowe Hill Quarries – liaise with Newland PC and respond. Ongoing – application will now be presented to the May planning committee.
Feb 2019 204.8 Cllrs. Lounds & Worgan Screening of Castle Bins – to be followed up. Ongoing – Cllr Lounds has determined that the car park belongs to English Heritage, leased to the YHA.

Cllr Lounds to get 2 quotes for the screening work and seek sharing costs between YHA, EH and the Council.

May 2018 Cllrs. Hurley & Plummer Grievance, Disciplinary and Health & Safety Policies in progress and a revised version of  Community Engagement to be circulated to all. Ongoing – Health & Safety policy has been approved, Grievance and Disciplinary policies need to be reviewed and approved at a future Parish Council meeting, due to the ruling of the Ledbury case.  Cllr Plummer proposed that the Parish Council approves the standard policies written by NALC.  Full review of all  policies by May 2020. A Staffing Committee is to be set up. Cllr Plummer to bring staffing structure and ToRs back to council.

 

 

250 LEAD COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

250.1 FINANCE – Cllr. McFarling – nothing to report

 

250.2 GOVERNANCE & STAFFING – Cllr Plummer – no report

 

250.3 FOOTPATHS Cllr Hurley – Cllr Worgan reported a fallen tree cleared at Slade Brook FP by Forestry England

 

250.4 HIGHWAYS – Cllr Lounds – final version of TROs and roadworks to be requested. Provisionally by the end of May 2020.

 

250.5 PLANNING – Cllr McFarling – nothing to reported

 

250.6 EMERGENCY PLANNING/SNOW WARDEN – Cllr Smith – currently checking grit bins against maps.

 

250.7 CEMETERY – Cllr Burley – Cllr Lounds to ask Highways about fixing the disabled access to the churchyard at the roadside gate.

 

250.8 ASSETS & MAINTENANCE – Cllr Chivers – No work carried out this month due to wet weather.

         

 

251 CORRESPONDENCE REQUIRING ACTION

 

251.1 FOR INFORMATION ONLY

 

251.1.1 Note that the B4228 will be resurfaced between 18th and 30th March

 

251.2 REQUIRING ACTION

 

251.2.1 Cllr McFarling to write to FODDC seeking permitted development permission for the Playing Fields Association to install a play roundabout.

 

251.2.2 Council acknowledged that a parishioner had acted in good faith in attempting to fix the church gate. Cllr Chivers to write to the parishioner indicating that the Council will make a contribution of £125 (50%) towards the costs of fixing the church gate. The council will work to ensure it is made boar proof at its own cost.

 

 

252 PUBLIC COMMENT

 

252.1 A parishioner asked that the reports collated at the Annual Parish Meeting be made available for the public to view.

 

252.2 A parishioner had emailed Cllrs regarding a car parked on the High Green next to the school.

 

 

253 ITEMS FOR FUTURE MEETINGS

1.1       Use of the adopted telephone boxes

1.2       Use of Social media to engage with parishioners

1.3       Considerations for improving 3 Posts Lane footpath

1.4       Review and approve Grievance, Disciplinary and Health and Safety policies

1.5       Consider re-running fun day during summertime

1.6       Use of the new website

1.7       April 2020 – Review Village News way forward

1.8       April 2020 – Propose Staffing Committee format

1.9        May – complete review of all governance policies

1.10    Sep – consider arrangements for the provision of a Christmas tree

 

254 DATES FOR FUTURE MEETINGS

 

Dates

2020

 

Meeting

at 7.00 p.m.

Venue Agenda items &

Dispensation requests by:

15th April* Parish Council Meeting Assembly Rooms 3rd April
11th May Parish Council Meeting Assembly Rooms 1st May
14th May Annual Parish Meeting Assembly Rooms
8th June Parish Council Meeting Assembly Rooms 29th May
13th July Parish Council Meeting Assembly Rooms 3rd July
August No Meeting Assembly Rooms
14th September Parish Council Meeting Assembly Rooms 4th September
12th October Parish Council Meeting Assembly Rooms 2nd October
9th November Parish Council Meeting Assembly Rooms 30th October

 

NB Last date for submission of agenda items, written reports – 10 days prior to meeting (previous Friday week), for written dispensation requests – 3 days before (previous Friday)

* Note this meeting is on a Wednesday as the Monday is a bank holiday.

In-house financial controls and checks:

Cllrs Due date
Remainder T.B.A.

 

 

 

 

255 CONFIDENTIAL MATTERS – It was resolved to exclude the Press and the Public for the remaining business of a confidential nature, in accordance with Standing Order 1.1.3.

 

255.1     TO CONSIDER THE RECRUITMENT OF THE CLERK

                                 This matter was discussed – see Annex A.

255.2    TO CONSIDER THE LETTER RECEIVED FROM HOWELL’S SOLICITORS

                                 This matter was discussed – see Annex B.

 

 

 

The meeting closed at 9.45