St. Briavels Parish Council

Minutes of the Meeting held on 11th January, 2016 in the Assembly Rooms, St. Briavels at 19:00

 

PRESENT

Cllr. Carss (Chairman), Chivers, Joyce, McFarling, Thomas and Walker.

 

IN ATTENDANCE

District Cllr. Hale, Clerk and 5 members of the public.

 

  1. APOLOGIES It was resolved to accept apologies from Cllr. Rees, Cllr Clarke

 

  1. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST Item 156.5 Cllr. Walker

 

  1. DISPENSATIONS None

 

  1. MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

It was resolved to adopt the minutes of the previous meeting held on 9th November, 2015 without amendment.

 

156.5 PCC Community Project – Silk Painting Workshops & Art and Floral Exhibition

An application for a grant towards this project was considered at length. The project will run over three months and culminate in May with the exhibition in the Church of the artworks produced involving the local community.  It will coincide with the River Festival activities at the Castle, the Bread & Cheese and Whittington Purse traditions in the village. It was resolved to contribute £1,000 to the project.

 

  1. ONGOING ACTIONS

 

Minute & Date: Delegated to: Details: Status:
223.3 Oct 2014 Cllr Joyce Notice board: Cost and location of notice board.  Cllr. Joyce has approached another party re. sharing the cost of an aluminium, lockable notice board – approx £400 Ongoing
21.5 May 2015 Cllr Carss To follow up with Highways new white lines on the B4228 out of the village in the direction of Chepstow as they make drivers think the road is sufficiently wide for traffic to pass when it isn’t. Closed. This is not considered to be a priority by Highways and remains unfunded.
52.5 July 2015 Cllr Clarke

Cllr. McFarling

Clerk

Emergency Plan/Snow Warden. Cllr Clarke identified the main problem as being adverse weather conditions.  The number and location of grit bins was discussed.

 

It was agreed that the bins should be numbered and identified on more accurate/large scale maps.  Clerk to look for a map(s) that may be on file.  Cllr. McFarling to look into printing a map – A3 or larger if possible.

Ongoing – Cllr. Clarke to circulate the final draft of the Emergency Plan as soon as possible.

 

Cllr. McFarling reported that the majority of the bins had been filled but a small number had not been located.

52.6 July 2015 Cllr Rees One quote has been received for the borehole and sampling work at a cost of approx. £3,000.  Cllr. Rees to obtain 2 more quotes. Ongoing
52.7 July 2015 Cllr Chivers

Cllr McFarling

To get three quotes for tree works adjacent to the Tump. TCA form raised and consent given. Closed.  Quotations to be considered under item 156.10.
85.3 Sep 2015 Cllr Chivers Cllr. Chivers met with the landowner who is happy to have marker posts but not kissing gates as they can be propped open thus allowing the sheep to escape. He is unwilling to provide a key for the padlocked gates for similar reasons. Cllr. Chivers to look into funding sources and to organise a meeting with PROW and the farmer to walk the footpath.
  90 Sep 2015 Cllr Carss To raise the castle car park wall with Highways; suggest consider re-profiling the wall. Ongoing – BW has been e-mailed and this has been passed to Amey.  Cllr. Carss to chase BW.
133.3 Nov 2015 Clerk Cancel the missing cheque books Complete
133.5 Nov 2015 Cllr McFarling To ask the heritage murals artist for a breakdown of costs for the consultation, design phase and the painting phase. Ongoing – Artist, Tom Cousins to be invited to a Parish Council meeting.
133.6 Nov 2015 Clerk To contact Highways/County Council regarding the relocation and emptying of the bin to be positioned outside the new shop. Ongoing – contact Rachel Capon.
133.8 Nov 2015

156.4 Jan 2016

Clerk

Cllr McFarling

To get the necessary forms authorised in order to proceed with electronic banking following the January 2016 meeting. Ongoing – complete paperwork and send to Unity Trust Bank.
138 Nov 2015 Cllr Carss To ask the Castle Manager to re-site and screen the dumpsters. Ongoing – meeting to be organised.
139 Nov 2015 Cllr Rees To produce a list of community assets and also report on how to register these assets. Ongoing
156.6 Jan 2016 Clerk Donation and thank you letter to Pavilion. Thank you letter to Henry Box School New Action
156.8 Jan 2016 Clerk Prepare Lloyds Bank mandate forms for signature at next meeting. New Action

 

156.10 Jan 2016 Clerk Tree Felling – Notify contractors of Council’s decision. New Action
158.1 Jan 2016 Clerk To produce Parish Council Newsletter. New Action
158.8 Jan 2016 Clerk Write to Richard Chuter. Chairman to sign. New Action
159 Jan 2016 Cllr. Chivers Village information leaflet.  Obtain quotes for a print run of 1,000. New Action
160 Jan 2016 Cllr. Walker Parking – contact Two Rivers to organise a meeting. New Action
161.2 Jan 2016 Cllr. Chivers Planting in the Village – to organise a walk-about with the Garden Society to identify areas for planting. New Action
163. Jan 2016 Clerk Restricted Byways – to write to PCSO re. obtaining accurate maps. New Action

 

  1. PUBLIC QUESTIONS

  To suspend Standing Orders to allow members of the public to ask questions of the Council.            None

 

  1. REPORT FROM COUNTY COUNCILLOR

County Councillor, Patrick Molyneux not present.

 

  1. REPORTS FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS

Cllr. Hale reported that work was progressing with the budget and of £10,000 allocated for defibrillators, £1,000 remained.  There had many incidents of flooding in the area, mainly Clearwell and BW had been e-mailed.  Cllr. McFarling reported that there was to be a 1.99% increase in Council Tax.  The Allocation Plan was being examined to ensure it cooperates with the core strategy.

 

  1. FINANCE

        

156.1 Accounts paid:

 

Inv

ref

Chq

no

Payee Purpose Auth Amount VAT
15/42 300151 Parish Online Annual Subscription LGA 1972s.143 £28.00 £5.60
15/43 300152 GAPTC Clerk’s Training LGA 1972s.111 £35.00  
15/44 300153 Ursula Deighton Clerk – October

Travel

LGA 1972s.112(2)

LG(FP)A1963s.5

£368.35

£34.47

 
15/45 300154 HMRC PAYE (October) LGA1972s.111(2) £92.00  
15/46 300155 Pavilion Apple day Hire LGA1972s.111 £35.00  
15/47 300156

300162

D Skidmore Memorial gates WM(LAP)A1923 s.1 /LGA 1948s.133(2) £120.00

£30.00

 
15/48 300157 M&H Spraying Memorial Gates refurbishment WM(LAP)A1923 s.1 /LGA 1948s.133(2) £800.00 £160
15/49 300158 Assembly Rooms Room Hire LGA 1972s.111 £27.50  
15/50 300159 Mr. R. Chuter Handyman – 87hrs LGA 1972s.137 £870.00  
15/51 300160 Poppy Appeal

(Mrs.A.Matthews)

Poppy wreaths LGA 1972s.137 £80.00  
15/52 300161 N.T. Sargent Grass cutting LGA 1972s.214(6) £468.00  
                                                                                                                         TOTALS: £2,988.32

 

£165.60
TOTAL FOR PAYMENT:   £3,153.92  

 

156.2 Accounts paid 28/11/2015

Inv

ref

Chq

no

Payee Purpose Auth Amount VAT
15/53 300163 Age Concern Forest of Dean Grant LGA 1972s.137 £500.00  
15/54 300164 Coleford Area MCTI Partnership Grant  towards cost of Magna Carta celebrations LGA 1972s.137 £100.00  
15/55 300165 Assembly Rooms Storage of documents LGA 1972s.111 £100.00  
 

TOTALS

 

£700.00

 

 

156.3 Accounts to be paid:  The following accounts were approved for payment.

 

Inv

ref

Chq

no

Payee Purpose Auth Amount VAT
15/56 300166 GAPTC Clerk’s training LGA 1972s.111 £35.00  
15/57 300167 Assembly Rooms Room Hire LGA 1972s.111 £33.00  
15/58 300168 Ursula Deighton Clerk (Nov & Dec) Salary

Expenses & travel

LGA 1972s.112(2)

LG(FP)A1963s.5

£736.50

£93.09

 
15/59 300169 HMRC PAYE (Nov & Dec) LGA 1972s.112(2) £184.20  
15/60 300170 R. Chuter Handyman – 13.5 hours LGA 1972s.137 £135.00  
 

TOTALS

 

£1,216.79

 

 

156.4 Financial Checks: 

Cllrs Walker and Joyce reported that the financial checks had revealed no issues.

 

 

 

156.6      Internet Banking

Following discussion it was resolved that:

  1. i) Internal transfers between the savings and current accounts would be single authority transactions by the Clerk.
  2. ii) For external payments, the Clerk and Lead Councillor (Finance) would have Viewer and Submitter status. Other Councillors would be registered as having Viewer and Authoriser status.

Mandate form to be signed at the end of the meeting and forwarded to Unity Trust Bank.

 

156.7    Donation from The Henry Box School

A donation of £50 had been received from the above mentioned school following their use of the playing fields June/July 2015.  It was agreed that this donation should be passed on to the Pavilion together with a message to thank them for providing the equipment.

 

156.8      Village Handyman

It was noted that ongoing funding for the village handyman has been agreed by the Community Wind Turbine Panel on an ongoing basis subject to a 12 month review as to need.  Payment of £250 to be made quarterly.

 

156.9    Lloyds Bank

The meeting noted that a mandate form has been obtained to update the signatories for this account.  The Chair signed a letter to Ex Cllr Bird requesting that she signs the document to enable the funds to be transferred.  It will be brought to the next meeting to be signed and once processed the balance of funds will be moved from Lloyds Bank to the Unity Trust Bank.

 

156.10   The Consortium of Wye Valley Councils

The Consortium is to be put into hibernation and the balance held in the account of £180 to be divided between the 5 member councils.  A cheque for £36 will be issued at the end of January.

 

156.11 Tree Felling Quotations

Four quotations had been received and were tabled at the meeting for consideration. Two of the quotations were similar in proficiency and would undertake the work without using cranes which would have meant closing roads. It was resolved to accept the quote from Treescape Services Ltd. For £1,600 + VAT. The Contractor would be asked to complete the work before 1st March, 2016.

 

  1. PLANNING

FOREST OF DEAN DISTRICT COUNCIL – APPLICATIONS RECEIVED: the following applications were considered.

 

  LPA Ref / applicant Location Proposal
157.1 P1844/15/FUL

Mr & Mrs Tate

Wye Valley Barn, The Common, Brockweir, Chepstow Conversion of barn to eco-dwelling with associated alterations and refurbishments.

Object on the grounds of unsustainability; that the site (for development) does not comprise a sustainable location for a new dwelling. 

157.2 P1609/15/FUL

Mr & Mrs Orledge

St Briavels House, Pystol Lane St Briavels Revised plans/information for erection of a double garage, new vehicular access, off road parking and turning area.

No objections provided the archaeologist’s recommendations are followed.

 

157.3 15/0108/FDMAJM

Breedon Aggregates England

Clearwell and Stowe Hill Quarries, Stowe Green, St.Briavels Extension of Stowe Hill Quarry, the phased relocation of the mineral processing plant from Clearwell Quarry to Stowe Hill Quarry including a coating and replacement concrete plants and a road access onto the B4228, increase in the maximum output material leaving Stowe Hill Quarry and revised restoration of Clearwell Quarry. It was agreed that the Parish Council’s stance has not changed and it strongly objects to the expansion; particularly the increase in depth and the volume of HGV traffic.

 

PMN: The Quarry Committee (Newland & St Briavels Parish Councils) will meet on 17 Feb to discuss the new application and a public meeting will be held on 24th Feb. Details of the public meeting will be published in the Village News.

 

          It was noted that Councillors had been circulated with an overview of applications responded to during November and December.

 

  1. LEAD COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

  Subject Lead Cllr. Comment
158.1 Finance Cllr. McFarling The precept of £24,000 (a drop of 20%) due to good financial management etc. to be reported in the PC Newsletter. Copy of last newsletter given to the Clerk.
158.2 Governance &

Staffing

Cllr. Rees No report.
158.3 Footpaths Cllr. Chivers Nothing further to report.
158.4 Highways Cllr. Carss The blocked drains around Pystol Lane and the Castle will be reported to Highways. The road markings at the junctions by the school and to Bream Road will be re-done.  The potholes in the lay-by outside the Pavilion have been filled.
158.5 Planning Cllr. McFarling Nothing further to report.
158.6 Emergency

Planning/Snow

Warden

Cllr. Clarke No report. It was suggested that Cllr. Clarke’s telephone number be made available in the newsletter in case of snow.
158.7 Cemeteries Cllr. Rees No report.
158.8 Amenities &

Maintenance

Cllr. Chivers It was agreed to write to Richard Chuter to thank him for all the hard work around the village.  (Clerk/Cllr.Carss)

The Fields in Trust plaque is available for the handyman to hang.

 

  1. VILLAGE LEAFLET

Following discussion it was agreed that it would be a good idea to update and reprint the village leaflet which would be freely available, to advertise the amenities and facilities of St Briavels. Members were happy for Mariana Robinson to undertake this task but would want editorial control prior to printing.  Cllr. Chivers to obtain quotes for a print run of 1,000.

 

  1. PARKING

The issue of creating hard standing areas for parking to alleviate problems with access for delivery vehicles in Smithville and also where grass verges are used for parking and look unsightly was discussed.  It was agreed that Cllr. Walker would ask for a meeting with Two Rivers to consider options.

 

  1. PLANTING IN THE VILLAGE

161.1 Best Kept Village

It was decided that it would be a good idea to consider entering this competition in 2017.

 

161.2 Garden Society

Cllr. Chivers reported that the Garden Society is willing to get involved with planting and so it was agreed that it would be useful to organise to walk around the village and identify areas that need planting.  Cllr Carss added that planting displays at the entrances to the village help to reduce vehicle speed as drivers are more aware of being in the village.

         

  1. EXTENSION OF MEETING

          At 21.30 it was RESOLVED to extend the meeting by no more than 30 minutes.

 

  1. RESTRICTED BYWAY

The Council had received an e-mail from the PCSO regarding an apparent inappropriate use of the byway near to Great Hoggins Farm.  It was felt that the green lane maps used by the motorcyclists may be incorrect and as such it was suggested that the PCSO obtain a map of green lanes in the area from Gloucestershire County Council to check whether RB 21 and 22 is a green lane or not and whether motorcycles are prohibited.  Clerk to respond to PCSO’s e-mail.

 

  1. CORRESPONDENCE REQUIRING ACTION

None received.

 

  1. MINOR MATTERS INCLUDING INFORMATION RECEIVED BY THE CLERK

‘Growing the Economy Action Plan 2015 – 2019’ – comments are required by 29th January 2016.  Cllr. Carss reminded the meeting that the Clerk was co-ordinating responses to this document.

 

  1. PUBLIC COMMENT

          To suspend Standing Orders to allow members of the public to comment on what has been said during the meeting. None

 

  1. CO-OPTION

          It was noted that there is still a vacancy for a Parish Councillor.

 

  1. ITEMS FOR FUTURE MEETINGS

          Cllr. Carss suggested that the Council consider purchasing Christmas lights for the village. To be discussed at the July meeting.

 

  1. DATES OF FUTURE MEETINGS

 

Date Time Meeting Venue Agenda items &

Dispensation requests by:

  8th Feb 16 18:30 Parish Council Meeting Assembly Rooms 29th January
14th Mar 16 18.30 Parish Council Meeting Assembly Rooms 4th March
11th Apr 16 18.30 Parish Council Meeting Assembly Rooms 1st April
19th Apr 16 18.30 Annual Parish Meeting Assembly Rooms  
  9th May16 18.30 Annual Parish Council Mtg. Assembly Rooms 29th April

 

 

  1. FINANCIAL CHECKS

The following Councillors are required to conduct a financial check by the meeting date shown and report at the following meeting their findings.

 

Cllr’s Due date
McFarling, Carss 8th Feb 2016
Chivers, Thomas 14th Mar 2016
Clarke, Rees 11th April 2016
Walker, Joyce 9th May16

 

Meeting closed at 21:48.