St. Briavels Parish Council

         Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on 11th February, 2019 in the Assembly Rooms, St. Briavels at 7:00 p.m.

 

PRESENT

Cllrs. Chivers (Chairman), Clarke, Hurley, McFarling, Rees and Walker.

 

IN ATTENDANCE

County Cllr. Molyneux, Clerk.

 

  1. APOLOGIES

It was resolved to accept apologies from Cllrs. Joyce and Plummer.

 

  1. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Item 197.2 – Accounts for payment.

Cllr. Hurley – payment to SBAR (18/74).

 

  1. DISPENSATIONS

No requests received.

 

  1. MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

It was resolved to adopt, as a true record, the minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on

14th January, 2019.  It was noted that Cllr. Walker had started the new comments book referred to in item 181.4 rather than Cllr. Hurley.

 

  1. PUBLIC QUESTIONS

No members of the public present.

                       

  1. REPORT FROM COUNTY COUNCILLOR (Item brought forward)

          Cllr. Molyneux reported on the following issues:

  1. i) County Council budget and the amounts allocated to various services/departments.
  2. ii) In response to a question, he confirmed that he would check to make sure that the £5,000 allocated to      the road safety scheme would be available into the new financial year.

iii) He felt that society should aim to be carbon neutral every day; cycling is being targeted now.

 

  1. PLANNING

         FOREST OF DEAN DISTRICT COUNCIL – the following applications were considered

                       

  LPA Ref / applicant Location Proposal
193.1 P0071/19/FUL

P0072/19/LBC

Ms. S. Gunter

St. Mary’s Chantry, East Street, St. Briavels Erection of a single storey rear extension and Listed Building Consent for same.

Objected based on the current application but agreed to support the Conservation Officer’s recommendations. (Prop: Cllr. Clarke; Sec: Cllr. McFarling; supported unanimously.)

193.2 P0173/19/TCA

Mr. I. Marshall

Pear Tree Cottage, High Street,St. Briavels Remove 1x Acer.

No objections.

193.3 P0084/19/FUL

Mrs. S. Orchard

Rose Cottage, Hudnalls Loop Road, St. Briavels Variation of Condition 02 (approved plans) to make alterations to internal layout and external appearance including discharge of Condition 04 (Arboriculture method statement) of planning permission P1021/18/FUL.

No objections.

 

  1. ONGOING ACTIONS

         Progress on the following ongoing actions was noted:

 

Minute & Date: Delegated to Details: Status:
96.5 Sept 2017 Cllr. Hurley Three Posts Lane – details will be provided when the work has been scheduled for this path and two others. Ongoing – no date has been notified yet.
10 May 2018 Cllrs. Hurley & Plummer Grievance Policy, Health & Safety Policy and Community Engagement to be reviewed/overhauled. Ongoing
98 Sept ‘18 Clerk

 

 

 

Whittington Close/Play area – obtain second quote for legal work upon receipt of draft terms of the Guinness Partnership lease. Complete

See item 198.

174 Jan ‘19 Clerk Re. Budget – Pay scales to Cllr. Rees Complete
175 Jan ‘19 Clerk Whittington Close Play Area – contacted Fiona Stoke (Guinness) re. 2-year period of notice. Complete
176 Jan ‘19 Clerk & Cllr. Chivers Grass cutting quotations – open after 31st January and present to Feb. meeting. Complete

See item 199

177 Jan ‘19 Clerk Repair of Boundary Wall – place advert in The Review. Complete

Responses by 28/02/19.

178.1 Jan ‘19 All +

Cllr. Hurley

Community Calendar – information to be placed on the new notice board in the bus shelter.  Comments re. content to be sent to Cllr. Hurley. Ongoing
178.2 Jan ‘19 Cllr. Clarke Streetlighting – talk to Brian Watkins. Ongoing
179.1 Jan ‘19 Cllrs. McFarling and Walker Whittington Close signage – reported to FoDDC; to be resolved ASAP. Ongoing
179.2 Jan ‘19 Clerk Whittington Close Guinness Partnership contacted re. poor heating system. Ongoing
180.7 Jan’19 Cllr. Rees Cemeteries – location of cremated remains and quote for removal of ramp.

Proposal to next meeting. Cllrs. to have a meeting at the Cemetery.

Ongoing
198 Feb ‘19 Cllrs. Chivers & McFarling Whittington Close/Play Area – Project costs to March meeting. New Action
199 Feb ‘19 Clerk Grass Cutting – issue contract to Complete Landscape Gardeners for signature. New Action
200 Feb ‘19 Cllr. Hurley

 

Clerk

Litter Picker – bring more information to the March meeting.

Clarify position regarding insurance.

New Action
201 Feb ‘19 Clerk Village Information Leaflet – organise reprinting. New Action
203 Feb ‘19 Cllr. Chivers

All

Clerk

Get-together – any ideas/suggestions to be sent to Cllr. Chivers.

Clerk to write to all the organisations regarding the forthcoming election and to remind them about the Get-together. Date to be agreed.

New Action
204.8 Feb ‘19 Clerk Letter to Castle Manager + photos re. bins. New Action
206.1 Feb ‘19 Clerk Stowe Hill Quarry – letter to Jason Betty New Action
207.2 Feb ‘19 Cllr. Chivers Obtain up-to-date bus timetables. New Action
207.3 Feb ‘19 Cllr. Hurley Speak to Brian Watkins regarding the possibility of limiting parking to cars only when the three new spaces are created on implementation of the B4228 safety measures. New Action

 

  1. REPORT FROM COUNTY COUNCILLOR

Dealt with earlier in the meeting.

 

  1. REPORTS FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS

          Nothing to report.

 

  1. FINANCE

197.1    To note the following accounts paid as approved at the last meeting.

 

Inv

ref

Chq

no

Payee Purpose Auth Amount VAT Total
18/69 BACS St. Briavels Assembly Rooms (SBAR) Room Hire x 1

Room Hire following Dementia session

LGA 1972s.111 £33.00

£16.50

   

£49.50

18/70 S/O

 

Ursula Deighton

(Mrs U J Deighton)

Clerk (December) Salary

 

LGA 1972s.112(2)

 

£515.05

 

   
18/71 BACS Richard Chuter

(R. Chuter)

Village Handyman (December – 6.5 hours) LGA 1972s.137 £65.00    
18/72 BACS Cllr. Walker

 

2 Socket, 15 metre, waterproof case reel

Cable ties

LGA 1972s.137 £32.99

 

£1.88

   

 

£34.87

18/73 BACS University of Glos. Reading the Forest Grant LGA 1972s.137 £500.00    
        TOTAL (inc VAT) £1,164.42    

 

         197.2    It was resolved to approve the following accounts for payment:

 

Inv

ref

Chq

no

Payee Purpose Auth Amount VAT Total
18/74 BACS St. Briavels Assembly Rooms (SBAR) Room Hire x 1

 

LGA 1972s.111 £33.00

 

   

 

18/75 S/O

 

Ursula Deighton

(Mrs U J Deighton)

Clerk (January) Salary

Travel (60.6 miles)

Postage 7 x £1.10 (maps)

LGA 1972s.112(2)

LG(FP)A1963s.5

LGA 1972s.111

£515.05

£27.27

£7.07

   
18/76 BACS The Forest of Dean & Wye Valley Review Public notices re. Grass Cutting in The Review and The Forester. LGA 1972s.111 £109.50

 

 

£21.90 £131.40

 

18/77 BACS Ursula Deighton Lockable Notice Board

for bus shelter and 2 x packets of magnets.

LGA 1972s.111 £118.19

£9.98

£23.64

£2.00

£153.81
        TOTAL (inc VAT) £867.60    

 

  1. WHITTINGTON CLOSE/PLAY AREA

Following discussion, it was agreed that Cllrs. Chivers and McFarling would liaise regarding the various costs associated with this project and report back to the March meeting.

 

  1. GRASS CUTTING CONTRACT

The Council considered the three quotations received for the three-year grass cutting contract (including an option to extend for a fourth year), commencing on 10th March, 2019.  Cllr. McFarling proposed that Contractor C be selected on the grounds of value for money.  This was seconded by Cllr. Clarke and supported unanimously.  Contractor C was then identified as Complete Landscape Gardeners.

 

  1. EMPLOYMENT OF LITTER PICKER

          The following proposal was considered:

“That the Parish Council pays for someone to pick litter from around the Village on a regular basis.”

 

It was agreed that Cllr. Hurley should come back to the next meeting with more information.  The Clerk was asked to check regarding insurance for this proposal.

 

 

  1. VILLAGE INFORMATION LEAFLET

          It was resolved to reprint this leaflet at a cost of £120 for 1,000 3-fold copies.

Proposed:  Cllr. Chivers, seconded: Cllr. Rees and supported unanimously.

 

  1. 202. ELECTION TIMETABLE/PURDAH

          The election timetable and arrangements during purdah were noted.  Nomination packs would be available at the next meeting or from FoDDC offices from 25th February, 2019.

 

  1. ST. BRIAVELS GET TOGETHER

          Cllr. Chivers outlined his ideas for the 2019 St. Briavels Get Together and encouraged everyone to send   through any ideas they may have regarding this event.  He also asked the Clerk to write to all the organisations regarding the election and to remind them about the Get Together.

 

  1. LEAD COUNCILLOR REPORTS (where not covered elsewhere on the agenda)

204.1    Finance – Cllr. McFarling reported a healthy financial position approaching year end and 0% increase to the precept.

`         204.2    Governance & Staffing – Cllr. Rees informed the Council that it was time to look at the Clerk’s pension again.

204.3    Footpaths – Cllr. Hurley informed the meeting that he will be raising a report with Jeff Wheeler regarding the destruction of a restricted byway which has resulted in a dangerous and unsatisfactory surface.  Both parties involved will be updated regarding this action.  He was also working to identify the landowner of a footpath which was difficult to find.

204.4    Highways – Cllr. Hurley would keep a watching brief on Highways until after the election.  A new rubbish bin was required at Cold Harbour, by the bench.  Cllr. McFarling said that he would follow this up with the District Council.  Cllr. Clarke had reported a couple of issues and would pass on the                               references for these to Cllr. Hurley.

204.5    Planning – Cllr. McFarling mentioned that the FoDDC Planning Committee would be considering the application relating to Clearwell Farm.

204.6    Emergency Planning/Snow Warden – Cllr. Walker reported on actions taken to top-up the grit bins recently.

204.7    Cemeteries – Cllr. Rees – nothing further to report.

204.8    Assets & Maintenance – Cllr. Chivers informed the meeting that Richard Chuter had been out of action due to an injury but was on the mend now.  Cllr. Walker had taken photographs of the bins outside the Castle and suggested that a letter should be sent to the Castle Manager and also to English Heritage as they are an eyesore.

 

  1. COUNCIL REPRESENTATIVES’ REPORTS

205.1    Playing Fields Association (PFA) – Cllr. Walker had attended a meeting of the PFA that evening and reported that both the playing fields and the Pavilion were doing well; hosting the Scouts from Woolaston which included 10 children from St. Briavels, Bream football club were using the pitch and an under 5’s play day was held regularly in addition to all the other activities taking place on site.  They had been offered a storage container but had been advised that planning permission would be required for this.  A shelter for parents on the play area was being looked into.

205.2    Charles Lord Denton Almshouses Trust – Cllr. Rees – no report.

205.3    Child Safety Working Group – Cllr. Chivers asked the School Governors to have a word with Mrs. Helm, the Head Teacher regarding organising an internet safety course at the School.

205.4    Farmers’ Market – Cllr. Clarke reported that he had received several favourable comments regarding the display on the Parish Council boards and also a suggestion that a Fish & Chip van  would be a good idea. The lack of youth activities was also remarked upon.

 

  1. CORRESPONDENCE REQUIRING ACTION

         206.1    Stowe Hill Quarry – Following lengthy discussion, Cllr. McFarling proposed that the letter to Jason Betty, Senior Planning Officer, Gloucestershire County Council, which had been circulated, be sent in support of Newland Parish Council.  This proposal was seconded by Cllr. Rees and supported by all apart from one abstention.

 

EXTENSION OF THE MEETING

During the last item, at 21.30 it was resolved to extend the meeting by no more than 30 minutes.

 

206.2    Keep Britain Tidy’s Great British Spring Clean – request for Parish Councils to join this event which is due to take place between 22nd March – 23rd April, 2019.  Details to be included in Village News.

 

206.3    West Gloucestershire Neighbourhood Watch Association – notice of a Crime Reduction Event to be held at Lydney Town Hall on Tuesday, 5th March, 2019 at 7.00 p.m.  Details to be included in Village News.  Concern was expressed that there seemed to be a lack of co-ordination locally.

 

  1. MINOR MATTERS INCLUDING INFORMATION RECEIVED BY THE CLERK (No action required)

         207.1    Post Box at Cold Harbour – noted that this is now operational.

207.2    Incorrect Bus Timetable – Cllr. Chivers to get in touch with the relevant organisations to obtain correct timetables.

207.3    New Parking/Visibility – a resident had expressed concern that when the highway alterations are carried out and parking provided for the houses above Peel Cottage, visibility could be impaired if someone parks a high-sided van in one of these spaces. Brian Watkins to be consulted regarding the possibility of ‘cars only’ parking.

 

  1. PUBLIC COMMENT – no public present.

 

  1. ITEMS FOR FUTURE MEETINGS – Holiday Lunch Club

 

  1. DATES OF FUTURE MEETINGS

 

Dates

2019

Time Meeting Venue Agenda items &

Dispensation requests by:

11th March 18.30 Parish Council Meeting Assembly Rooms 1st March
8th April 18.30 Parish Council Meeting Assembly Rooms 29th March
2nd May (tbc)   Parish Council Elections    
13th May 18.30 Annual PC Meeting followed by PC Meeting Assembly Rooms 3rd May
May Tbc Parish Get-together The Pavilion  
10th June 18.30 Parish Council Meeting Assembly Rooms 31st May
8th July 18.30 Parish Council Meeting Assembly Rooms 28th June
August   No Meeting    
9th September 18.30 Parish Council Meeting Assembly Rooms 30th August
14th October 18.30 Parish Council Meeting Assembly Rooms 4th October
11th November 18.30 Parish Council Meeting Assembly Rooms 1st November
December   No Meeting    

NB: 18.30 for viewing of planning applications and talk to parishioners; 19.00 meeting commences.

 

  1. FINANCIAL CHECKS

The following Councillors are required to conduct a financial check by the meeting date shown and report at the following meeting their findings.

 

Cllrs. Due date
Rees, Clarke 8th April, 2019
t.b.c. 8th July, 2019
t.b.c. 14th October, 2019
t.b.c. 13th January, 2020

 

 

Meeting closed at 9.52 p.m.